|03 39 23|
CS-309-25 OTC acrylic curing and sealing compound is a clear, transparent, ready-to-apply, non-yellowing liquid compound formulated with special acrylic polymers and VOC-exempt solvents that effectively cures and seals freshly placed concrete.
Once properly applied, CS-309-25 OTC provides a premium-grade seal for optimum moisture retention. This produces a hard, dense, high compressive strength concrete. CS-309-25 OTC will minimize hair checking as well as premature cracking, dusting, spalling, and other common defects that result when concrete is not properly cured. This easy-to-use compound dries quickly and protects the concrete during construction. It resists adhesion of mortar droppings and permits easier cleanup.
CS-309-25 OTC is ideal for application on commercial and industrial concrete surfaces, sidewalks, patios, multi-level parking decks, driveways, and parking areas … wherever you want to simultaneously cure and seal exterior concrete surfaces. The use of CS-309-25 OTC on any exterior concrete surface provides a durable, long-lasting finish that offers improved resistance to chemicals, oil, grease, deicing salts, and abrasion. CS-309-25 OTC provides an attractive, glossy finish that enhances the natural appearance of the concrete.
- Provides a totally clear membrane for new or existing concrete.
- Permeable film allows moisture in cured concrete to evaporate.
- Provides a tough, durable, uniform, premium-grade, long-lasting film on exterior concrete surfaces.
- Ultraviolet stable; non-yellowing under extreme exposure.
- Cures and seals freshly placed concrete simultaneously in one application.
- Produces a premium-grade seal, yielding optimum moisture retention.
- Minimizes hair checking, cracking, dusting, spalling, and other defects common to improperly cured or uncured concrete.
- Provides improved resistance to chemicals, oil, grease, deicing salts, and abrasion during construction.
- Produces a hard, glossy film that enhances the natural appearance of concrete.
- Applies easily … dries quickly for less downtime.
- Permits easy cleanup and housekeeping … reduces floor maintenance costs.
- VOC compliant.
1 Gallon (3.79 Liter) Cans (6 per case)
5 Gallon (18.93 Liter) Pails
55 Gallon (208.20 Liter) Drums
300-600 ft.2/gal. (7.37-14.73 m2/L). Coverage may vary due to porosity and condition of concrete.
When stored indoors and in original, unopened containers at temperatures between 40 – 90° F (4 – 32° C), shelf life is a minimum of two years from date of manufacture.
- ASTM C 309, Type 1, Class A & B
- ASTM C 1315, Type I, Class A
- AASHTO M 148, Type 1, Class A & B
- Complies with U.S. EPA, LADCO, and OTC maximum allowable VOC requirements.
- Dried film is USDA accepted
Surface Preparation … Existing (Old) Concrete: Concrete surface must be clean and dry with all stains, oil, grease, dust, and dirt removed prior to application. ULTRITE® DEGREASER from W. R. MEADOWS is recommended for cleaning.
New Concrete: CS-309-25 OTC should be applied when surface water has completely disappeared and the concrete surface will not be marred by walking workmen.
Application Method … Applying by sprayer: Use a low pressure, high solids, commercial-grade sprayer, such as a Chapin 19069, equipped with Viton fittings. (Do not use garden sprayers or form oil sprayers.) The sprayer must be clean and dry prior to application. Follow instructions provided by sprayer manufacturer. W. R. MEADOWS recommends a 0.5 gpm or 1.0 gpm nozzle, such as a Chapin 1-5943. Always apply a test area prior to full application using proper spray techniques and coverage rates. If spraying and back rolling, the optimum results are achieved if a second person can immediately back roll, following behind the spray applicator. Follow roller instructions below. Do not delay the back roll, as the area will dry quickly. If puddles occur, immediately brush or roll them out.
Applying by roller: Use a short nap (1/4″ is ideal) mohair roller.
To ensure proper film formation, the following steps should be followed carefully:
- Maintain a wet edge while applying.
- Do not apply thick films.
- Do not roll or brush excessively, as this will cause the film to become stringy.
- Do not roll or brush once material becomes tacky.
- Do not roll over dried material.
- Do not allow roller to become dry.
Note: Over-rolling or using incorrect rollers may cause bubbles to form in the film. If this occurs, a light application of xylene, rolled over the film, should eliminate the problem.
For optimum performance, apply first coat at 600 ft.2/gal. After the first coat has thoroughly dried, apply a second coat at 600 ft.2/gal. NOTE: The second coat should be applied at a right angle.
Drying Time … CS-309-25 OTC dries quickly. Drying times may be extended depending on application rate, temperature, humidity, and project conditions. Restrict foot traffic for at least four hours. Twelve hours is preferable.
Cleanup … Application equipment should be cleaned promptly after use with xylene or toluene.
DO NOT DILUTE. Use in adequately ventilated exterior applications only. Surfaces treated with CS-309-25 OTC may become slippery under certain conditions.
CS-309-25 OTC should not be applied during high temperature conditions in direct sunlight. These conditions cause rapid evaporation, which does not allow the film to form properly. Under these conditions, the film may peel, bubble, and/or turn white (blush). CS-309-25 OTC should not be applied to concrete exposed to excessive moisture. Entrapped moisture in a solvent-based sealer may cause the film to peel and/or turn white (blush).
CS-309-25 OTC is a membrane-forming sealer. All membrane-forming sealers may darken concrete or magnify imperfections caused by variations in the porosity and/or finishing of the concrete.
Do not apply CS-309-25 OTC if the temperature of the concrete is below 40º F (4º C). CS-309-25 OTC may be used on colored concrete, but mottling may occur. Do not use on dense or non-porous surfaces, i.e. brick, stone, etc.
Concrete containing calcium chloride will remain dark longer when treated with CS-309-25 OTC. Concrete floors properly cured with CS-309-25 OTC meet section 8.9 “Adhesion of Tile Cements” of ASTM C 1315. For other specifications, secure the approval of the paint or resilient flooring manufacturer before applying CS-309-25 OTC. The specifier and user shall determine the suitability of product for specific applications and assume all responsibility in connection therewith.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
Prolonged inhalation of vapors in excess of permissible exposure limits may result in symptoms of transient central nervous system depression. Direct contact with the product may result in irritation of the skin and eyes. Product vapors may also cause irritation. CS-309-25 OTC is flammable. Remove ignition sources prior to use. Empty containers may hold flammable vapors. Handle empty containers as flammable liquids. In the event of a spill, contain the product, apply absorbents, and place in sealed containers. In the event of a fire, contain all run-off water. Refer to Material Safety Data Sheet for complete health and safety information.
May help contribute to LEED credits:
- IEQ Credit 4.2: Low-Emitting Materials – Paints and Coatings
- IEQ Credit 4.3: Low-Emitting Materials – Flooring Systems
- MR Credit 2: Construction Waste Management
- MR Credit 5: Regional Materials
This material last updated March 2012.