Instrumentation and Controls Technician
Provides support for instrumentation, programming automation and controls systems involving PLCs (programmable logic controllers) and HMI (Human Machine Interface) devices. Offer support and is familiar with SCADA type devices. Provide training and troubleshooting for network and process control systems. Responsible for documentation of control systems and keeping backups of all software. Applies electrical theory, principles of electrical circuits, electrical testing procedures, engineering mathematics, physics, and related knowledge to layout, build, test, troubleshoot, and repair production equipment. We are looking for creative, dependable and detail-orientated individuals that want to make a difference. We work hard, play hard and love solving problems. If you are interested in this type of career, we want to hear from you
Great opportunity for entry and mid-level instrumentation and control technician to join a growing engineering team. In this role you are a key member of a multi-discipline team; working together to plan, design and deliver solutions for our operations team and customers.
As part of the Engineering Team you will be working with our operations, maintenance and quality teams to deliver solutions to improve our process reliability, product quality and plant-wide performance.
Some of the duties of the instrumentation and control technician are:
- Consulting diagrams and technical documentation such as schematics, manuals, standards and codes;
- Maintaining backup and revision documentation for control systems and instrumentation;
- Manage SCADA type devices in an industrial-based environment
- Installing, configuring, calibrating and maintaining control, measurement and indicating instrumentation (pneumatic, analog & digital);
- Configuring and programming Programmable Logic Controls (PLC) and Programmable Automation Controllers (PAC);
- Organize and order PLC control components in order to maintain plant process control systems.
- Work with corporate IT staff as required with miscellaneous network and computer activities.
- Must be able to prepare technical reports for documenting issues/changes to equipment.
- Must be able to manage projects for implementing changes and improvements.
- Employee must be willing to be on call to support production needs.
- Installing and terminating electrical, pneumatic and fluid connections;
- Inspecting and testing the operation of instruments and systems to diagnose faults;
- Removing, repairing, adjusting and replacing components;
- Calibrating components and systems;
- Assisting engineering in plant design, modification and hazard analysis;
- Maintaining various computer-based control systems;
- Performing scheduled maintenance programs; and,
- Keeping up-to-date with advances in technology in industry and the trade.
Some of the instruments include transmitters, analyzers, sensors, detectors, signal conditioners, recorders, controllers and final control elements. They are used in industry to measure and control variables such as pressure, flow, temperature, level, motion, force and chemical composition.
Successful candidates will also demonstrate the following skills and personal traits
- Ability to plan and prioritize tasks across multiple projects
- Self-motivated and highly organized with good time management skills
- Detail-oriented work style
- Dedication and commitment to meeting expectations
- Team Player/Cooperative, yet assertive
- Ability to work in an often fast-paced, hectic, and demanding environment
- Must have exceptional problem-solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Must have proven experience in PLC logic and programming with Allen Bradley PLC’s and other types of controllers.
- Must be able to create and read logic and flow diagrams for program design, programming, simulation and testing, and start-up
- Lean Manufacturing
Bachelor’s degree or Associates Degree in related field preferred.
At least 2 years of experience required.
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. (Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned at the supervisor’s discretion).