Product Data Sheet
|09 93 00||
SPECTRUM WATER-BASED STAIN
SPECTRUM WATER-BASED STAIN is a water-based, polymer-modified, premium-grade, concentrated stain for use over existing, interior, or exterior concrete substrates, as well as other porous surfaces. SPECTRUM WATER-BASED STAIN forms a breathable film, offers excellent durability, and is resistant to alkalis and fading. To achieve optimum performance, all surfaces coloured with SPECTRUM WATER-BASED STAIN must be sealed with a suitable W. R. MEADOWS product, such as DECRA-SEAL™ or DECRA-SEAL W/B.
SPECTRUM WATER-BASED STAIN is available in 14 decorative colours, offering the user multiple decorative options, including adding colour, changing an existing colour, and the ability to restore/rejuvenate aging concrete or other porous surfaces, etc.
Please contact a W. R. MEADOWS representative for a current SPECTRUM WATER-BASED STAIN colour selection chart.
SPECTRUM WATER-BASED STAIN, when properly sealed with a W. R. MEADOWS product, may be used on interior or exterior porous substrates, including, but not limited to: concrete flatwork, concrete pavers, patterned concrete, concrete blocks, cementitous overlays/micro-toppings, etc. Ideal applications include driveways, garage floors, pool decks, office complexes, schools, hotels, shopping malls, restaurants, theme parks, and other high traffic areas where adding, enhancing, or changing the colour is desired.
May help contribute to LEED credits:
TECHNICAL DATA (Typical)
Total solids (% by volume):
Flash point, °C (°F):
| Liquid, emulsion
30 +/- 2
142-165* (as supplied)
8–11* (after dilution)
Taber abrasion results meet or exceed the abrasion results of an acid-based stain. A detailed independent test report is available upon request.
REGULATORY COMPLIANCE – VOC
SPECTRUM WATER-BASED STAIN complies with all applicable federal, state, district and local AIM VOC regulations. The actual VOC content is colour-dependent.
0.95 Litre (4 U.S. Quart) containers
3.78 Litre (1 U.S. Gallon) containers
18.93 Litre (5 U.S. Gallon) pails (special order only)
SHELF LIFE (TYPICAL)
As Supplied (Concentrate): One (1) years in unopened, factory-sealed container. Store in a dry area away from moisture at 4 – 43°C (40 – 110°F).
After Dilution: Three (3) months in tightly-closed container. Store in a dry area, away from moisture at 4 – 43°C (40-110°F).
SPECTRUM WATER-BASED STAIN is supplied as a concentrate to be diluted with distilled, de-ionized, or reverse osmosis water (or a combination of SPECTRUM SURFACE ENHANCER and water for the base/primary colour) to provide the user with multiple colours and/or color combinations. The recommended dilution ratios can be found in the W. R. MEADOWS publication – DETAILED APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR SPECTRUM WATER-BASED STAINS.
CAUTION: Tap (“hard”) water is NOT recommended for dilution. Distilled, de-ionized or reverse osmosis water is required to achieve optimum performance and appearance.
Approximate coverage is 23.2 – 37.2 m² (250 – 400 ft.²) per diluted gallon. Coverage will vary depending on dilution ratio, porosity, profile, application techniques, condition of the concrete/masonry substrate, etc.
SURFACE PREPARATION and APPLICATION
For proper surface preparation and application instructions, please refer to the W. R. MEADOWS publication – DETAILED APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR SPECTRUM WATER-BASED STAINS.
- PROFESSIONAL USE ONLY – SPECTRUM WATER-BASED STAIN is designed for applicators experienced and trained in concrete surface preparation and the use and application of these types of products.
- Prior to using SPECTRUM WATER-BASED STAIN and/or associated products, please carefully read and follow data sheet, MSDS, and Detailed Application Instructions.
- Prior to a full-scale application, ALWAYS apply a small test section to each surface that will be stained, using the same applicator, equipment, temperatures/conditions, surface preparation, application techniques, etc
- Not recommended for dense surfaces, such as glazed tile, marble, granite dense brick, dense slate, terrazzo, etc.
- Inconsistencies in jobsite conditions, application techniques, substrate porosity, temperatures, weather conditions, etc., may produce variations in the appearance and/or adhesion of the final film.
- For optimum appearance and performance, it is recommended that new concrete or other porous surfaces be a minimum of 28 days old prior to the application of SPECTRUM WATER-BASED STAIN and applicable W.R. MEADOWS sealer.
- Application by airless sprayer is recommended.
- Applications using a roller, brush, sponge, etc., may leave lap/mechanical marks and/or lines.
- The substrate must be sound and free of all surface irregularities and foreign materials that would inhibit the proper adhesion/bond of SPECTRUM WATER-BASED STAIN. This includes, but is not limited to: laitance, loose concrete, dust, dirt, grease, glues/mastics, paints/coatings, concrete curing compounds, adhesives, form release, and penetrating products, such as silicates, silanes, siloxanes, etc.
- Prior to application over a previously sealed surface, please refer to the W. R. MEADOWS publication guide – DETAILED APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR SPECTRUM WATER-BASED STAINS.
- Not recommended for metal, resin, fibreglass, vinyl, rubber, glazed tile, and non-porous substrates.
- Do not use acid-etching as a cleaning/surface preparation method.
- Do not apply when excessive moisture, heavy condensation, high dew point, high relative humidity, etc. are present.
- Do not use where hydrostatic pressure is present or may develop.
- SPECTRUM WATER-BASED STAIN will not hide surface blemishes, construction errors, texture inconsistencies, etc. in concrete, cementitous patching compounds, or other porous substrates.
- SPECTRUM WATER-BASED STAIN (Natural) that has been diluted with water at a 1:1 ratio may hide colour inconsistencies/variations in concrete, cementitous patching compounds, or other porous substrates.
- Thoroughly protect all adjacent areas that are not to receive SPECTRUM WATER-BASED STAIN.
- Do not seal or topcoat with methylmethacrylate sealers or penetrating products such as silicates,
silanes, siloxanes, etc.
- KEEP FROM FREEZING.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
If contact with the skin or eyes occurs, flush area with water. Consult product Material Safety Data Sheet for complete health and safety information prior to use.
MASTERFORMAT NUMBER AND TITLE
09 93 00 Staining and Transparent Finishing