Product Data Sheet
|03 35 23|
DATA SHEET 3300-718
Spray-Applied, Water-Soluble Surface Retarder
TOP-STOP VERTICAL is a spray-applied, water-soluble surface retarder designed to slow the set of surface mortar in concrete to expose the aggregate. It temporarily halts the set of Portland cement at the surface while the concrete below the surface cures normally. TOP-STOP VERTICAL is economical and easy to use. The product is designed specifically for vertical surfaces. It will uniformly coat concrete forms, producing beautiful exposed aggregate concrete with consistent results. TOP-STOP VERTICAL is non-flammable and VOC-compliant.
TOP-STOP VERTICAL may be used to produce an architectural finish on concrete slabs by exposing the natural colour and texture of the aggregate. TOP-STOP VERTICAL exposes the aggregate on cast-in-place walls, tilt-up and precast panels, or any normal vertical application.
- Architectural-quality appearance with original colour and texture of the aggregate without sandblasting.
- Easy, economical removal of the concrete surface without laborious hacking, chipping, or blasting required.
- No danger of acid residue from strong washing compounds.
- Easy to use.
- Less supervision of field personnel.
- No expensive equipment required.
- Uniform coverage results in uniform aggregate exposure; consistent results.
- Easy water cleanup.
3.79 Litre (1 U.S. Gallon) Jugs
18.93 Litre (5 U.S. Gallon) Pails
13.94 – 27.87 m² (150 – 300 ft.²)
BEST USED BY
When stored indoors in original, unopened containers at temperatures between 4° – 32° C, optimum performance and best use is obtained within one year of date of manufacture.
- Canada VOC Concentration Limits for Architectural Coatings Regulations
|Weight per 3.79 L (1U.S. gal.):||4.00 kg (8.8 Lb.) (Typical)|
|VOC Content||0 g/L|
Mixing … Mix material well before application.
Application Method … Apply to concrete forms before placing concrete. Apply at specified rate with low-pressure sprayer or roller. Apply first coat, wait for material to dry (1 – 2 hours), and recoat on same day as the pour. Protect surface of concrete from rain, wind, and direct sunlight. Do not place concrete until coating is dry. Leave Top-Stop Vertical on surface until concrete reaches 6 – 8 MPa (12 – 14 hours). Remove retarded surface with a water broom.
Cleanup … TOP-STOP VERTICAL may be easily removed by water and scrubbing with a wire brush.
Depth of the exposed aggregate will be affected by extreme temperatures, as well as the water pressure and scrubbing action used during removal. A test patch under exact job conditions is recommended. Do not use on concrete containing calcium chloride or other set accelerators. Do not apply to frozen surfaces. Protect treated area from freezing. Do not store in metal sprayers for long periods of time.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
Direct contact may result in mild irritation. Refer to Safety Data Sheet for complete health and safety information.
MASTERFORMAT NUMBER AND TITLE
03 35 23 – Exposed Aggregate Concrete Finishing
May help contribute to LEED credits:
- IEQ Credit 4.2: Low-Emitting Materials – Paints and Coatings
- IEQ Credit 4.3: Low-Emitting Materials – Flooring
- MR Credit 2: Construction Waste Management
- MR Credit 5: Regional Materials