This document has been created as an addendum to our AIR-SHIELD technical data sheets to provide information regarding the recommended treatment of joints in exterior sheathing panels (drywall and glass-faced) when using AIR-SHIELD LSR fluid-applied membrane.
Following are the typical installation instructions recommended by W. R. MEADOWS. However, it is important to review each application as there may be situations that may require this procedure to be modified based on the project requirements. If this situation arises, please contact W. R. MEADOWS Technical Service.
EXTERIOR SHEATHING PANELS
1. Install and fasten exterior sheathing panels according to the sheathing manufacturer’s instructions.
2. When installing the fasteners, ensure that they are driven flush with the surface (not countersunk) and into the framing. Any fasteners that are countersunk, or any holes from the removal of a fastener, must be pretreated with AIR-SHIELD LIQUID FLASHING prior to application of AIR- SHIELD LSR.
3. Inspect the joint to ensure that all areas to receive joint treatment are clean, dry, smooth, and free from all bond-breaking contaminants.
4. Remove and replace any damaged structural wall components.
JOINT TREATMENT USING AIR-SHIELD LIQUID FLASHING
1. Fill joint with AIR-SHIELD LIQUID FLASHING and create a 1″ (25.4 mm) band over the joint area.
2. Do not strike flush with the sheathing surface.
JOINT TREATMENT USING USING AIR-SHIELD SELF-ADHESIVE MEMBRANE
1. Apply MEL-PRIME™ from W. R. MEADOWS on either side of the joint, extending 3″ (76.2 mm) from the center.
2. Install a 4″ (25.4 mm) strip of AIR-SHIELD centered over the joint and roll press firmly into place. For joint widths greater than ¼” (6.4 mm), fill with BEM from W. R. MEADOWS prior to application of AIR-SHIELD.
JOINT TREATMENT USING BEM
1. Fill joint with BEM from W. R. MEADOWS and create a 1″ (25.4 mm) band over the joint area.
2. Allow BEM to cure for a minimum of four hours prior to proceeding with full application of AIR-SHIELD LSR.
JOINT TREATMENT USING AIR-SHIELD LSR FLUID-APPLIED MEMBRANE
1. Fill joint area with AIR-SHIELD LSR using a W. R. MEADOWS SPREADER TOOL or a 3” (76.2 mm) putty knife. A standard 3” (76.2 mm) roller can be used to apply AIR-SHIELD LSR.
2. Extend AIR-SHIELD LSR beyond the joint line 3” (76.2 mm)onto face of exterior sheathing.
3. Fully embed REINFORCING FABRIC HCR from W. R. MEADOWS 3” (76.2 mm) wide into wet AIR-SHIELD LSR centered over the joint.
4. Run the SPREADER TOOL or putty knife over the embedded REINFORCING FABRIC HCR to remove any air bubbles.