Leading-Edge Critical Building Protection
When water vapor is not controlled, and is allowed to seep through concrete slabs, it’s not just building owners, designers, and contractors who suffer with damage that translates into major costs and expenses. The health of the public and the workers who use that building is also threatened and impacted negatively. What’s more is that water vapor that contains alkali can also cause the structural failure of the concrete, especially when reinforced steel is present. Ultimately, in order to prevent unnecessary costs, building failure, and negative health risks from presenting themselves, protection is needed—and that comes in the form of a concrete vapor barrier provided by W. R. Meadows.
Table of Contents:
- Flooring System Failures: How it Happens
- White Paper: Under Slab Vapor Barriers/Retarders
- How an Underslab Vapor Barrier Delivers the Best in Building Protection
- How Does a Gas Barrier Also Offer Protection?
- Understanding Industry Specifications (ASTM E 1993-98 and ASTM E 1745-11)
- W. R. Meadows Vapor and Gas Barrier Solutions
- Vapor Barrier Videos
- Vapor Barrier Resources
- Vapor Barrier Accessories
- Vapor Barrier Articles & Projects
- Request More Information
At its simplest explanation, flooring system failure occurs when moisture is allowed to infiltrate a structure. From here, mold, mildew, and fungus are presented with the opportunity to form—and spread. It is this proliferation that ultimately leads to flooring system failures, which include:
- Adhesive failures
In some cases, elevated Ph levels can also be to blame—and can cause flooring adhesives and epoxy systems to breakdown when Ph levels exceed the actual tolerance of the material.
What’s more is that there really is no way to get around this issue because a 1999 federal mandate on VOC emissions actually created the need and thereby introduced the use of water-based flooring adhesives.
However, using a vapor barrier on top of a slab of concrete isn’t necessarily the answer. Why? Because many flooring systems utilized in this capacity are actually trapping water and alkali in between the slab and the flooring system itself. A better solution is needed—and this is where W. R. Meadows happens to excel.
How an Underslab Vapor Barrier Delivers the Best in Building Protection
Known as the best method as well as the most economical solution for controlling water vapor migration through concrete slabs, W. R. Meadows meets the two industry underslab vapor barrier standards in ASTM E 1993 and ASTM E 1745. The W. R. Meadows underslab vapor barriers are ideal for use under concrete slabs that come in contact with soil. They do not degrade when used in this environment, like typical polyethylene film comprised of high amounts of recycled material, and can be used in the construction of:
- Industrial plants
- Storage silos
- Sewage plants
- Civic centers
- Chemical processing facilities
- Sports arenas
- Food processing plants
How Does a Gas Barrier Also Offer Protection?
Gas barriers are a great solution when a building owner, designer, or contractor also has concerns about below-grade contaminants presenting major issues related to the health and safety of occupants. For instance, Radon, which is a naturally occurring gas, has been identified as the second leading cause of lung cancer. Methane is another gas that raises worry as it is produced from the decomposition of organic material from natural sources and human activities—and can cause asphyxiation. Another danger is that when Methane is present in higher concentrations, combustion can occur. These issues must be protected against during the construction process.
Still another challenge is the fact that construction continues in densely populated areas; therefore, development happens more frequently on brownfield sites. With this, contaminants in the form of hydrocarbons must be addressed on a construction site—and potential exposure in the completed building in the future must be mitigated properly.
The answer to both of these situations is a gas barrier. Through the proper specification and installation of such a tool, the integrity of a building can be ensured while occupant health is protected.
PERMINATOR EVOH is a seven-layer co-extruded barrier manufactured from state-of-the-art polyethylene and EVOH resins. Designed to provide superior resistance to gas and moisture transmission, PERMINATOR EVOH is a highly resilient underslab gas/vapor barrier designed to restrict naturally occurring gases, such as radon, methane, gasoline, solvents, oils, and hydrocarbons, from migrating through the ground and into the concrete slab.
In the creation of our vapor and gas barrier products, W. R. Meadows has met two very specific industry requirements.
- ASTM E 1993-98: Known as the standard specification for Bituminous Water Vapor Retarders, products adhering to this requirement are used in concrete with soil or granular fill under concrete slabs.
Products meeting or exceeding this standard:
These products are typically specified and used in applications where the best available protection from damaging moisture is required. The 1993 specification materials are also the toughest available membranes on the market—and are able to resist the rigors of concrete slab placement and finishing. What’s more is that these materials are designed for ultimate performance in water vapor permeance and strength. For instance, the perm rating requirement for this standard is 0.002 perms or less. Moreover, these materials are designed to be extremely durable and have tensile strengths over 140 lbs. lb./in.2 and puncture resistance of 90 lbs. force.
- ASTM E 1745-11: Recognized as the standard specification for Plastic Vapor Retarders, products that adhere to this requirement come in contact with soil under concrete slabs.
Products meeting or exceeding this standard:
This standard’s primary requirement is focused on the need for the material to be manufactured from plastic. In order to meet the requirements of this standard, materials usually need to be manufactured using virgin materials. While there are some polyethylene materials that meet this requirement, these products require fiber reinforcement to meet the tensile strength and puncture resistance requirements of the standard without also demanding added reinforcement. Polyolefin is the most economical material in this regard. The perm rating requirements for products that meet this standard is 0.1 perms. Additionally, this standard has three classes that deal with tensile strength and puncture resistance.
- PERMINATOR (10 and 15 Mil Underslab Vapor Barrier): PERMINATOR underslab vapor barrier is a new generation of polyolefin-based resin/chemical technology. PERMINATOR provides the vapor barrier industry with a highly effective, economical choice for helping to reduce the penetration of moisture and water vapor through the slab into the structure, thereby helping to reduce fungus, mildew, and mold growth. PERMINATOR is available in 10 mil and 15 mil thicknesses. Both versions are furnished in 200′ (61 m) long rolls.
- PERMINATOR EVOH (Underslab Gas Vapor Barrier): Designed to provide superior resistance to gas and moisture transmission, PERMINATOR EVOH is a highly resilient underslab gas/vapor barrier designed to restrict naturally occurring gases, such as radon, methane, gasoline, solvents, oils, and hydrocarbons, from migrating through the ground and into the concrete slab. PERMINATOR EVOH is available in 20 mil thickness, and furnished in 150′ (45.7 m) long rolls.
- PERMINATOR HP 15 Mil Underslab Vapor Barrier (High Puncture Resistance): PERMINATOR HP underslab vapor barrier is a new generation of polyolefin-based resin/chemical technology. PERMINATOR HP provides the vapor barrier industry with a highly effective, economical choice for helping to reduce the penetration of moisture and water vapor through the slab into the structure, thereby helping to reduce fungus, mildew, and mold growth. PERMINATOR HP is available in 15 mil thickness, and furnished in 200′ (61 m) long rolls.
- PRECON (Pre-Applied/Underslab/Blindside Waterproofing Membrane): PRECON is a composite sheet membrane comprised of a non-woven fabric, elastomeric membrane, and W. R. MEADOWS’ exclusive, patented plasmatic core (U.S. Patent No. 7,179,761). The plasmatic core is a seven-layer matrix designed for toughness and provides the lowest water vapor transmission (WVT) rating on the market.
- PREMOULDED MEMBRANE VAPOR SEAL WITH PLASMATIC CORE: PMPC (Vaporproofing/Waterproofing Membrane): PMPC is a patented seven-ply, weather-coated, permanently bonded, semi-flexible vaporproofing/waterproofing membrane. It is composed of an exclusive PLASMATIC CORE suspended mid-point between two layers of a homogeneous, bituminous material, and then sealed under heat and pressure between liners of asphalt-impregnated felt and a glass-mat liner.
W. R. Meadows Vapor and Gas Barriers
PERMINATOR underslab vapor barrier is a new generation of polyolefin-based resin/chemical technology. PERMINATOR provides the vapor barrier industry with a…
PERMINATOR EVOH is a seven-layer co-extruded barrier manufactured from state-of-the-art polyethylene and EVOH resins. Designed to provide superior resistance to…
PRECON is a composite sheet membrane comprised of a non-woven fabric, elastomeric membrane, and W. R. MEADOWS’ exclusive, patented plasmatic…
PREMOULDED MEMBRANE VAPOR SEAL WITH PLASMATIC CORE (PMPC) is a patented seven-ply, weather-coated, permanently bonded, semi-flexible vaporproofing/waterproofing membrane. It is…
PERMINATOR HP underslab vapor barrier is a new generation of polyolefin-based resin/chemical technology. PERMINATOR HP provides the vapor barrier industry…
Why settle for just a low perm rating when you can have one of the lowest perms on the market, plus nearly twice the competitive puncture resistance?
PERMINATOR 10 and 15 mil underslab vapor barrier now features one of the highest puncture resistance ratings in the market. This puncture resistance makes the product even more durable and tough against jobsite hazards, such as damage from walking workmen and rebar penetration. Damage created by puncturing the membrane is a leading factor in building envelope failures. PERMINATOR’s puncture resistance, plus its low perm rating, makes it the most complete underslab vapor barrier in the market.
Vapor Barrier Videos:
Vapor Barrier Resources
W. R. MEADOWS manufactures a wide array of related vapor barrier products for both PERMINATOR and PMPC. We can supply you with a complete system that will work together to create a solid, seamless structure.
Vapor Barrier Accessories
PERMINATOR TAPE is a self-adhesive tape, used in conjunction with the application of PERMINATOR underslab vapor barrier.
PRECON FABRIC TAPE is a self-adhering tape comprised of a rubberized asphalt waterproofing membrane laminated to a geotextile layer of…
Accessory Vapor Barrier Products
MEL-DRAIN rolled matrix drainage system is designed to remove moisture from around footings and to relieve hydrostatic head pressures. Eight versions are available.
For vertical wall applications, MEL-ROL waterproofing membrane can be installed. In this application, PERMINATOR is used as a protective course over MEL-ROL. For more information on MEL-ROL, consult our waterproofing brochure.
Also for vertical wall applications, MEL-ROL LM can be installed. MEL-ROL LM is a liquid membrane version of our standard MEL-ROL. Again, in this application, PERMINATOR is used as a protective course over the waterproofing membrane, MEL-ROL LM. For more information on MEL-ROL LM, consult our waterproofing brochure. MEL-ROL LM can also be used for stakes, small pipe, and rebar penetrations.
PERMINATOR TAPE is a self-adhesive tape for use in sealing seams and attachment to footings, protrusions, etc. It is offered in 43 (10 cm) widths and roll lengths of 1802 (55 m)/roll. It is packaged twelve rolls per carton. Coverage: One box of tape will adhere approximately 10 rolls of PERMINATOR.
POINTING MASTIC may also be used for stakes, small pipe, and rebar penetrations. Cut PERMINATOR just big enough for the penetration. POINTING MASTIC can be applied by caulking gun or trowel.
TERMINATION BAR is provided in 102 (3 m) lengths to attach PERMINATOR to vertical
walls as a protection course for vertical wall waterproofing applications.
Accessory Vapor Barrier Products: PMPC
CATALYTIC BONDING ASPHALT
CATALYTIC BONDING ASPHALT is a cutback bonding asphalt. It is a non-setting bitumen with an extremely low oxidation rate. It imparts permanent expansion and contraction characteristics to PMPC without destroying its capability to function as a monolithic vapor barrier.
PMPC TAPE is a sturdy, self-adhering, reinforced tape of polymeric membrane that requires no additional adhesive. It provides a simple, easy, and economical method of effectively sealing horizontal and vertical butt joints. Each strip is nominally 63 (152.4 mm) wide and 502 (15.24 m) long. PMPC TAPE features a quick-strip release paper
for ease of handling and application. Packaging: 6 rolls per carton.
Used for sealing top horizontal terminations or slab protrusions.
Vapor Barrier Articles and Projects
For many years PERMINATOR has been used in applications from schools and hospitals, to universities and sports stadiums and has…
PRECON is the choice for waterproofing on Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport rail station project. The PRECON system with BEM helped…
Installers can put down 50,000 sq. ft. of PRECON in a day, according to contractors at Marina Heights. Firestop Southwest’s…
When a demolition team went to tear down a gymnasium containing W. R. MEADOWS PMPC at Ursilane College on the east…
Over 25,000 square feet of our PERMINATOR vapor barrier and accessories was used on the Reser Stadium project at Oregon…
The 26,000 square foot Fairview clinic is replacing the east CBOC with nearly four times the space. The new facility…
This project featured a complete W. R. MEADOWS building envelope system.
Related Vapor Barrier Products
CATALYTIC BONDING ASPHALT
Cutback bonding asphalt specifically formulated for use with PMPC
450 Insulation Adhesive
Asphalt-based, cutback type, insulation adhesive of trowel consistency. It provides an excellent vapor barrier.
Request More Information