Product Data Sheet
|07 10 00|
MEL-DRAIN is a dimple-raised, molded polystyrene sheet bonded to high strength polypropylene fabric. This geocomposite allows the passage of moisture through the fabric while preventing fine soils from entering the drainage channel. Various drain designs are available, depending on soil pressure and flow specifications. (An optional polyester backing film is available when used in conjunction with flexible waterproofing material.) The family of MEL-DRAIN products provides excellent protection in vertical, horizontal, and site applications.
Used in conjunction with a total W. R. MEADOWS moisture protection system, MEL-DRAIN is the ideal choice for enhanced waterproofing protection of basement walls, plaza decks, earth-sheltered homes, commercial buildings, retaining walls, underground parking, site drainage, etc.
- High flow capacity, without clogging/Relieves hydrostatic pressure buildup.
- High compressive strength/Dependable, long life performance.
- Easy to install; durable under jobsite conditions/Lower total installed cost.
- Chemically resistant to all naturally occurring soil conditions/Wide variety of applications.
- Provides added protection for waterproofing materials/Enhances waterproofing performance.
- Part of a complete W. R. MEADOWS moisture protection system/Worry-free, single-source solution.
For vertical, below-grade applications, unroll MEL-DRAIN with flat, core side against the wall or waterproofing material. POINTING MASTIC or MEL-PRIME™ from W. R. MEADOWS are excellent adhesives compatible with this installation. The flat side core lip is overlapped to provide a continuous drainage layer. Extra filter fabric is provided at the edges for overlapping with the next sheet. MEL-DRAIN is easily cut with construction knives or scissors.
For horizontal applications, unroll and overlap so that water runs with overlap. Add appropriate ballast as needed to hold down drainage board.
Store materials in protected environment until time of installation. Materials not shipped in UV‐resistant bags must be stored indoors or under separate UV‐protective cover to protect materials from exposure to direct sunlight. UV‐resistant bagged materials may be stored in outdoor UV‐exposed environments for a cumulative maximum of 180 days. Limit unpackaged material UV exposure to a cumulative maximum of 14 days during installation. Do not install materials during high wind events. Do not expose materials to chemicals that are strong acids, strong bases, or high in solvents content. Protect materials from site construction damage, flames, and other environmental conditions that may damage the materials. It is not recommended that installation take place when the ambient temperature is below 20° F (-6.6° C) or above 100° F (37.8° C). Do not install in applications where the long term operational temperature is expected to be below ‐20° F (-18.9° C) or above 150° F (65.6° C).
|Physical Properties1||ASTM Test Method||Unit of Measure|
|Material2||PP, NWNP||PP, NWNP||PP, WM||PP, WM||PP, NPNW|
|Water Flow Rate||D 4491||gpm/ft2||165||165||160||160||90|
|Grab Tensile Strength||D 4632||lbs||100||100||385 x 220||385 x 220||205|
|N||445||445||1,713 x 979||1,713 x 979||912|
|CBR Puncture||D 6241||lbs||275||275||725||725||600|
|Apparent Opening Size||D 4751||sieve||70||70||45||45||80|
|Compressive Strength||D 1621||psf||11,000||15,000||30,000||18,000||18,000|
|Flow Rate3||D 4716||gpm/ft||12.5||17||13||21||21|
1Unless otherwise noted, all physical and performance properties listed are Typical Values as defined in ASTM D 4439.
2PP = Polypropylene; HIPS = High Impact Polystyrene; NPNW = Needle-Punched Nonwoven; WM = Woven Monofilament
3In-plane flow rate measured at 3,600 psf (172 kPa) compressive load and a hydraulic gradient of 1.0.
4Post-industrial recycled content by weight.
“-B” products include a polymeric backing film.
W. R. MEADOWS offers MEL-DRAIN products with AASHTO Classified Geotextiles. All technical information contained in this document is accurate as of time of publishing. W. R. MEADOWS reserves the right to make changes to products and literature without notice. For more detailed information, please request specific MEL-DRAIN model
May help contribute to LEED credits:
- EA Credit 1: Optimize Energy Performance
- IEQ Credit 3.1: Construction Indoor Air Quality Management Plan – During Construction
- IEQ Credit 7.1: Thermal Comfort – Design
- MR Credit 2: Construction Waste Management
- MR Credit 4: Recycled Content
- MR Credit 5: Regional Materials
- SS Credit 6.1: Stormwater Design – Quantity Control
- SS Credit 6.2: Stormwater Design – Quality Control
- WE Credit 1: Water-Efficient Landscaping
- WE Credit 2: Innovative Wastewater Technologies
Material last updated May 2016.