Silicone Roofing vs. Roof Replacement: The Smart-Choice Explained
Building owners are often faced with a critical question: should they opt for a complete roof replacement, or consider a more cost-effective, less disruptive, and sustainable alternative, such as liquid-applied roof coatings? But how do you know what is the best option for you? This guide will provide valuable insights into why liquid-applied roof coating might be a more cost-effective and sustainable option compared to traditional roof replacement, as well as discuss all the liquid-applied options and how to find out if liquid-applied will work for you.
UNDERSTANDING THE KEY DIFFERENCES
- Roof Replacement: Complete roof replacement involves removing the entire existing roof and installing a new one. This approach can be disruptive to business operations, pose safety challenges, impact the environment with disposal challenges, and is a labor-intensive process that can delay projects and overall business. This option very expensive due to the materials, labor, and disposal costs
- Liquid-Applied Coatings: Liquid-applied roofing systems on the other hand, involve applying coatings, normally either Acrylic, Urethane, Asphalt, or Silicone, over the existing roof. This creates seamless, waterproof performance without the invasiveness of a full replacement. Sustainable roof systems can be recoated multiple times, cause minimal disruption to occupants, are low VOC/low odor, facilitate ease of maintenance, and create “cool roofs” which contribute to energy savings. Liquid applied silicone roof systems offer warranties equivalent to new roofs and can save approximately 65 – 75% of the costs compared to roof replacements.
The International Building Code (IBC) has the “two-roof rule,” which enforces requirements that if two roofing layers already exist on a structure, the entire roof must be torn off before installing a new roof. Liquid-applied roofing systems overcome this issue. Since it’s a coating rather than an additional layer of roofing material, buildings can be continually recoated without adding significant weight, allowing property owners to have the peace of mind with equivalent warranted roof systems.
THE ECONOMIC PERSPECTIVE:
- Immediate Savings: Roof replacements come with high costs due to labor, disposal, and new materials. Liquid applied roof coating systems primarily involve the coating material and application labor offering significant immediate savings.
- Lower Risk: Minimizes your risk from potential hazards with employees, tenants and customers. One slip and fall could bankrupt a person or company. Minimize your risk and improve safety with better roofing practices.
- Sustainability: Liquid applied roof systems can be recoated over & over, extending their lifespan significantly compared to traditional roofs, making it a recurring benefit.
- Environmental Impact: Roof tear-offs result in material waste. Liquid applied systems, being restorative, reduce landfill waste and disposal fees.
NOT ALL LIQUID APPLIED ROOFING ARE CREATED EQUAL
- Acrylic: Are water-based, offering good reflectivity and UV resistance, and are more environmentally friendly due to their low VOC content. They tend to be the most cost-effective option; however, they are also less durable in standing water and lose thickness quickly due to weathering and erosion.
- Urethane: Known for their high flexibility and impact resistance, they form a robust, waterproof membrane that can handle thermal movement and building shifts well. However, they are sensitive to moisture during application and are expensive.
- Asphalt-Based: Made from modified asphalt that provides a waterproof layer that is often reinforced with fibers for added strength. This product option is susceptive to UV damage and weathering, and can become brittle over time.
- Silicone: Known for its exceptional durability and resistance to weathering, it forms a seamless, elastic membrane that withstands prolonged exposure to water, UV rays and temperature extremes. This application is highly resistance to ponding water, and exhibits excellent weatherability and UV protection. Plus, they maintain flexibility over time and have a long lifespan.
SILICONE, THE MOST EFFECTIVE OF THEM ALL
Silicone coatings are super durable, handle all sorts of weather drama, and just keep going. Plus, they stay flexible for years. Silicone roof coatings stand out in the market for their:
- Exceptional durability and resistance to weathering.
- Ability to form a seamless, elastic membrane that withstands prolonged exposure to water and temperature extremes.
- Highly resistance to ponding water and has excellent UV protection.
- Long lifespan, maintaining flexibility over time.
CHOOSING THE RIGHT SERVICE PROVIDER
It’s important to consult with professionals who can objectively assess your roof’s condition. Companies like W. R. MEADOWS offer advanced techniques like drone imagery, thermal imaging, impedance moisture scans, and detailed roof reports to provide accurate evaluations, determining if liquid-applied roofing is a viable option for your specific situation.
It’s vital to weigh the long-term economic and practical implications. Liquid applied silicone roofing systems offer a viable, cost-effective, and environmentally friendly alternative to traditional roof replacement. It’s recommended to seek advice from professionals to ensure your decision aligns with your property’s best interest.
Silicone Roof Coating Products & Accessories
KNIGHTSHIELD KS-5100 is a one-component, 100% silicone, moisture cure, waterproof roof coating that forms a seamless monolithic barrier to the…
KNIGHTSHIELD KS-5200 silicone walk-pad roof coating is a one-component, 100% silicone, moisture cure, waterproof roof coating that forms a seamless…
KNIGHTSHIELD KS-5300 low VOC, non-sacrificial, anti-graffiti coating is a translucent, semi-gloss, one coat anti-graffiti coating. KNIGHTSHIELD KS-5300 forms chemical bonds…
KNIGHTSHIELD KS-5600 is a one-part, moisture curing, 100% silicone roof flashing sealant. It is a high-performance product offering excellent UV…
KNIGHTSHIELD KS-5700 is a high performance self-leveling, one-part, moisture-curing, 100% silicone sealant that cures to a low durometer. The product…
KNIGHTSHIELD KS-5800 is a VOC-compliant, water-based, one-component primer for low energy surfaces. It forms an elastomeric base for silicone topcoats.…
KNIGHTSHIELD KS-5900 is a single component, plasticizer free, water-based acrylic bleed block roofing primer.
KNIGHTSHIELD KS-6000 are crushed glass granules made from 100% post-consumer recycled glass.
Request More Information