Many architects, distributors, engineers and concrete contractors have asked us, “When should I specify/use LIQUI-HARD ULTRA? What’s the difference between LIQUI-HARD ULTRA and the original LIQUI-HARD?” How are they similar? Are there climates, locations, or geographies where one is an advantage over the other? Dianne Carey, director of technical services, has offered to help identify some technical features of the products, to help you identify the right product for your next concrete project.
LIQUI-HARD and LIQUI-HARD ULTRA are clear, water-based, zero VOC, ready to use and can be used on interior and exterior applications. Both products are packaged in 5-gallon pails and 55-gallon drums. LIQUI-HARD and LIQUI-HARD ULTRA can be used for interior and exterior projects. Ideal applications include floors in:
- Industrial plants
- Storage silos
- Sewage plants
- Chemical processing facilities
Heavy pedestrian floor traffic areas, such as:
- Civic centers
- Sports arenas
- Restaurants (LIQUI-HARD ULTRA)
LIQUI-HARD is formulated using sodium silicate, with LIQUI-HARD ULTRA formulated using lithium silicate. It’s the silicate component of each product (sodium and lithium) that chemically react with components found in concrete to harden and densify the substrate.
|Coverage/Application Rate*||LIQUI-HARD||LIQUI-HARD ULTRA|
|Fresh (Newly Placed) Concrete:||
|Existing (Old) Concrete (Broomed):||
|Existing (Old) Concrete (Steel Troweled):||—||
*Note: Coverage rates may vary, depending on the finish and porosity of the concrete
Application on Existing Concrete:
- Saturate the surface with undiluted LIQUI-HARD.
- Keep the surface wet with LIQUI-HARD for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Once the surface begins to gel and becomes slippery, immediately spray the surface with a water mist.
- Scrub the surface with a broom or mechanical scrubber to increase the penetration of the LIQUI-HARD.
- Continue to work the LIQUI-HARD into the surface for a second time.
- THOROUGHLY flush the surface with water
- During the flushing process, agitate the surface with a broom to aid in removal of the excess LIQUI-HARD.
- Remove all excess material with a mop or squeegee.
- Thoroughly squeegee the surface dry.
- If there are slippery patches, this is an indication that there is still excess LIQUI-HARD present.
These areas should be re-flushed and squeegeed again until the entire surface is dry.
- Extremely porous surface may require a second application.
When you apply LIQUI-HARD, you must flood-scrub-and-flush the concrete surface.
Application on Existing Concrete:
Moisten the surface with undilute LIQUI-HARD ULTRA by sprayer or microfiber applicator.
- Keep the surface moist with LIQUI-HARD ULTRA for 20 minutes but do not let material stand and puddle.
- If excess material is still on surface after 20 minutes, use a microfiber applicator to even out excess material.
- After initial 20 minutes, let the surface dry.
LIQUI-HARD & LIQUI-HARD ULTRA:
Application Tutorial Videos
- Here is your 26-second explainer video demonstrating how to apply LIQUI-HARD ULTRA.
- Here is your explainer video demonstrating the technique for applying for LIQUI-HARD.
LIQUI-HARD and LIQUI-HARD ULTRA may help contribute to the following LEED v4.0 and v4.1 Credits:
MRc4: Building Product Disclosure and Optimization – Material Ingredients
IEQc2: Low-Emitting Materials
How to Know Which LIQUI-HARD Product to Use
When deciding which technology is best for your project, these questions will help you decide which product to use.
|Questions to Ask||NO||YES||Your Best Solution|
|1) Does your project have drywall?||
|2) Is your project more than a 1-story building?||
|3) Is your project timeline truncated?||
|4) Do you have water accessible to your site?||
|5) Are you able to flush, remove and dispose of excess material?||
Making Your Decision
Parameters like project location, water accessibility, waste removal accessibility, budget, and deadline will ultimately determine which LIQUI-HARD product is right for you.
Regardless of the product you choose, you have the benefit of these video tutorials demonstrating each product’s application. Please feel free to call our sales consultants at (800) 342-5976 if you have any questions.
Be sure to catch our upcoming blog on best practices for spring and summer concrete protection. If you have any topics you’d like to see covered in more detail, please feel free to email me (Denise Dorman), at [email protected] and connect with me on LinkedIn.
Request More Information